Tuesday 13 December 2011

The 12 Days of Craftmas {2}: snow globes

As promised, here is our very exciting second DIY Christmas gift idea. The first time I saw a DIY tutorial for snow globes was on Michaela Noelle Designs. I thought it was a great idea and one worth sharing. Since then, I've seen a few other tutorials and variations on the theme so this post will include my two favourites. To make one, you will need:
  • a jar
  • a Christmas tree/other plastic object
  • a glue gun
  • glycerin to make the snow fall slowly through the water (available at chemists)
  • distilled water
  • fake snow (glitter/dessicated coconut)

1. Glue your figurine to the inside of the lid and leave it to dry completely.

2. Add your fake snow to the jar, then fill it with distilled water (boiled then cooled water) and a few drops of glycerine.

3. Close the lid tightly, adding a little more glue around the border to seal it well and ensure that no water can get out.

4. All you have to do now is shake it and enjoy the snow!

You can find the full tutorial here on Michaela Noelle Designs. The instructions are very clear with plenty of photos to help you along the way. If you prefer to watch a video to find out how to make a snow globe, I found this one by Jordan Reid very helpful.

Still looking for inspiration? Take a look at these Anthropologie snow globes (via The Chiconomist).


The penguin one is a definite favourite!

What do you think? Easy peasy?

Carla

4 comments:

  1. Your snowglobe is lovely as is the colour of your nails! Love the Anthro penguin one too. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say I had made these and that my nails looked like that but that photo is Michaele Noelle's and I'm guessing those are her nails! Glad you like the snowglobe and thanks for leaving a comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...