Friday 17 February 2012

Scandinavian shopping in Scotland (and London)

It would seem my love for all things Scandinavian goes beyond Sara Lund and her jumpers. While I was in Scotland recently, I was pleasantly surprised to find that COS had opened a store in Glasgow’s Princes Square. The even better news was that the sale was on.


I managed to snap up a few bargains and will be going back there on my next trip home. It’s a Swedish brand that is part of the H&M group and is like a more grown-up/higher-end version of H&M with a lot of classic yet modern pieces. 


Monki is another Swedish store that is part of the H&M group. Its clothes are a little different and a bit more fun which makes it more similar to H&M than COS. As for prices it seemed a bit more expensive than H&M. I went to the store in London’s Selfridges and although I didn’t buy anything that time, I’m keen to go back again soon to see what I can find.

Lastly, another Scandinavian shop (although this time nothing to do with H&M) is Spektakulär in Edinburgh between Morningside and Bruntsfield which sells Swedish, Danish and Norwegian pieces. I had been in a few times before and was looking forward to visiting while I was at home. It’s a lovely shop full of practical yet beautiful things for the home including textiles, candles, crockery and more, so if you’re in Edinburgh I recommend you pop in. I bought these nice felt apple coasters (I should have made myself the apple coasters that Olga made so beautifully but in this instance, I’ll stick to the excuse that I like to support small independent businesses!).

I love the simplicity of Scandinavian design and the way things are practical but made to look beautiful at the same time. What do you think of it? Do you have a COS and a Monki where you live?

Carla

6 comments:

  1. Love it all! I'm a Glasgow girl but i live in Yorkshire, so next time i'm home i'll be heading to Cos. Monki has some fantastic pieces and they regularly do sales so you can get some real bargains. They post to the UK now so you don't just have to go to Selfridges. (This probably isn't going to help my bank balance though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Lovely to read a comment from a fellow Scot :) Good tips there about Cos...albeit dangerous ones!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love Scandanavian design it always look so effortless but cool. Monki is my current favourite, the fact they deliver to my house now is so bad, though i do find their sizing huge especially compared to h&m. I love the Edinburgh store, I was in a couple of weeks ago & was loving their storage containers in super funky patterns, very Copenhagen school. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, yes I have to agree with you on Scandinavian design. Glad you made it to the Edinburgh shop, it is very nice in there. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh how I miss the shops in Scotland... Spektakular is great! I popped in last year when we were over on holiday. What I would give to pop into an H&M now... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No H&M? That must be tough, I bet you have other cool shops we don't have though. How funny you knew of Spektakular! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...